: : crazybrave has moved to <a href="http://crazybrave.net">http://crazybrave.net/</a>: Rolling Vanstone?

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Rolling Vanstone?

I haven't seen much of Julie Bishop, Minister for Education, Science and Training and (ahem) Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Women's Issues before, but I saw Barrie Cassidy's interview with her on last week's Insiders. I thought she was vile, though Barrie seemed rather charmed.

I can see why she's being tipped for Big Things, as we slowly watch Amanda Vanstone get pushed further and further into the shadows. Bishop's very polished and knows her lines inside out. It's the Federal Government's job to ensure Parents Have Choice about their kid's education (by funding wealthy private schools). Any action necessary to make choice meaningful is the responsibility of the State Governments.

The Federal government is also happily responsible for Flags, Values, Anthem-Singing and Report Cards that Pull no Punches.

My favourite bit was this:

BARRIE CASSIDY: Brendan Nelson, of course, is keen on students singing the anthem and raising the flag. Do you have a passion in that area as well?

JULIE BISHOP: Well, every morning when I was at primary school we sang the national anthem and raised the school flag and it was something that I remember with some fondness. As I travel around Australia and visit schools the children seem to share that same pride in singing the anthem and putting up the flag. I think it's a wonderful thing.

BARRIE CASSIDY: I don't know if it's a daily thing, though. I think it's probably more common that it's done once a week in assembly.

JULIE BISHOP: Well, they certainly do it when I'm at their schools. Every time I visit a school we have a flag-raising ceremony and they sing the national anthem.

Most of the members of this Government really do seem to believe that the world is what they can see from their window.


Tony Abbott offers some media advice to Julie Bishop (a different one).