: : crazybrave has moved to <a href="http://crazybrave.net">http://crazybrave.net/</a>: Festival of the boon*

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Festival of the boon*

Back home for a few days now, but I've been reading books instead of blogging. I've just finished Fleshmarket Close, the new Ian Rankin (only OK, better at the end, but DI Rebus has just about run out of puff) and I am up to page 598 of Robert Caro's first volume of his Lyndon Johnson biography, The Path to Power. Go and read that one if you're interested in politics, America, the first half of last century and a cracker read. And if you have quite a lot of time on your hands, obviously.

Our little holiday was great. Beach, family, seafood, wine, friends, presents and playmates for my son. (And a bit more mucking up than New Year's Eve has seen for a while.) Today was O's first day at work and my first day back as an unemployed mother. A little bit gruelling, in parts, but at least I didn't have to go and have a sleep in my car at lunchtime like O did.

Perhaps we should have had a little more foresight when were planning to go away, because we live far too close to where Summernats is held. I don't know if you can still get those special souvenir videos called "Blowers, burnouts and boobs" but if you live here you don't need them. Two sleeps to go, but they're roaring up the long straight roads of Canberra already.

I'm not some anti car freak, by any means. I was very strongly attached to my first car, a 1965 HD Holden station wagon, and I love a good hot rod. But I can live without the constant throb of cars whose engines protrude from the bonnet, cries of "showusyertits", impossibly young looking girls who do, and trying to entertain an overheated toddler at a pool full of leering meatheads.


lovely

This was my first car, but mine was pale metallic green. Most of the time the engine was on the driveway, not on top of the bonnet.


not lovely

This is Summernats. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.


* A peculiarly Canberra term, but one I'm sure you've got the drift of by now.